With winter approaching homeowners are more inclined to want to use their chimneys, but before you go making sparks make sure you and your family are safe. When having a chimney, keeping it maintained is one of the most important things you can do. Hudson Chimney of Florida is here to meet all of your chimney sweeping and inspection needs!
When there is a blockage in your chimney or it becomes damaged, it can stop the air from escaping properly, allowing Carbon Monoxide and other harmful things to stay inside of your home. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is extremely toxic. Because it is so dangerous, it can lead to death before the victim is even aware that they are coming in contact with the substance. Small levels of exposure can lead to you feeling like you have the flu, causing symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue. Depending on your age and how long you were exposed, the symptoms may be more severe.
There are numerous ways that Carbon Monoxide can build up. Everyday items, such as generators, vehicles, or even your chimney can be the start of the problem without you even thinking about it. Knowing how to use and keep you appliances properly repaired can cut back on the chance of a problem. If you are in a space that you sense Carbon Monoxide in the air, evacuate the room immediately. Turning off what you think is emitting the gas will stop from creating more, but the room or area will need the proper amount of time to filter out what is already there.
Today, you can install CO alarms in your home, so if levels start to rise you will be alerted. To properly use these, there should be multiple alarms on all levels of the home. Some can be connected so that when one sounds, they will all go off throughout the rest of the home. These are not to be used as smoke detectors as they are made to sense different things. Lastly, alarms only work as well as they are taken care of so make sure that they are tested and have replaced batteries regularly.