Review Our Business

Our Company Blog

Schedule Chimney Services Early!

It’s almost time for the first fire of the season, and you don’t want to be left out in the cold. Make sure your chimney system is ready when you are scheduling your chimney services early. Lighting a fire in a dirty or damaged chimney can be a recipe for disaster. It can put your family at risk, lower the value of your home, and cost you dearly in repairs and damages.

Beat the Fall RushSchedule Chimney Services Early! - Jacksonville FL - Hudson Chimney

When you schedule early, you can avoid the fall rush and make sure you’re on the books with your preferred company and technician. If you wait, you may end up waiting longer than expected as chimney professionals stay busy during the Fall Rush–the period between October and January. During this time chimney sweeps are busy with routine services, repairs, and installations. Don’t risk lighting a fire in a dangerous or dirty chimney. Don’t miss out on using your fireplace this fall. Don’t wait; schedule chimney services early.

A Clean Chimney

When your chimney was out of use this summer it may have become home to rodents or wildlife. During the summer, humidity or precipitation might have mixed with the creosote and soot to create a corrosive material on the liner. This material left inside the chimney can lead to odors, a drop in efficiency, and even dangerous buildup. There may be a dangerous buildup that becomes an obstruction. The only way to ensure your chimney system is clean and will work efficiently and properly is to schedule a sweep before fall. Schedule a Hudson chimney sweep and you can rest assured that our courteous and knowledgeable technicians will leave your chimney in the best shape possible, safer and more efficient than ever.

Annual Inspections

Like chimney sweeps, inspections are an opportunity for a professional to see your system and recognize a problem that a homeowner will miss. During an inspection, a professional will assess your entire system and you’ll get a clean bill of health, a repair recommendation, and even documentation for your insurance or realtor. This annual appointment is one of the most important for your home. Have it done now, and you’ll have time for necessary repairs before fall.

Repairs

Schedule repairs as soon as you are aware of a problem. If there is masonry damage, missing parts, or any other problems, have it addressed before burn season. If your chimney has cracked, crumbled or falling masonry, a professional should repair it through a process of tuckpointing. A chimney leak should be diagnosed and repaired before winter to avoid the freeze/thaw cycle–whether the flashing or cap needs replaced, crown needs repairs, or the whole chimney needs to be waterproofed. We can repair it before winter when you schedule early.

Call Hudson Chimney at 904-282-4159 or contact us online so that you can schedule early and rest assured that your fireplace will be ready for a fire this fall.

Dryer Vent Safety

It is very important to keep up with dryer vent cleaning, as the built up lint is a fire hazard that endangers your house and everyone in it. Allow the professionals at Hudson Chimney to help you maintain a safer and more efficient dryer.

If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please give us a call at 904-282-4159! We look forward to providing you with a lifetime of high-quality, professional services!

If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please give us a call! We look forward to providing you with a lifetime of high-quality, professional services!

All About Chimney Liners

Problems in your chimney’s flue can pose a threat to your family’s health and safety. It is important to have a fully-functional and efficient chimney liner. Here’s what you need to know:

Is smoke coming in instead of going out? If you think your chimney liner needs repairing or replacing, Hudson Chimney can offer you the best services.

Is smoke coming in instead of going out? If you think your chimney liner needs repairing or replacing, Hudson Chimney can offer you the best services.

Watch Out for Mold!

Fungi are common practically on any surface where moisture is present. So it is no surprise that molds can easily find their way into the chimney. Most of the time, we don’t even know that they’re multiplying in the dark. But if left without any intervention, the accumulation of molds could have serious damaging effects to your household.

How Chimneys Can Breed Molds

The chimney is subjected to the ever changing seasons that it is no surprise at all that it is exposed to a lot of water and moisture. It does not only happen during the rainy seasons, but moisture can still build up in the chimney during humid summer days. And wherever there is moisture, molds can easily survive and thrive. They can reproduce up to the millions and still go unnoticed within the confines of the flue and make their way down to the fireplace. In addition, water can cause major structural damage to the masonry, creating cracks where more molds can reside.

Removing dangerous molds and waterproofing your chimney are two services we'll be happy to provide you. This extends the life of your chimney and reduces the negative impact of molds in the flue.

Removing dangerous molds and waterproofing your chimney are two services we’ll be happy to provide you. This extends the life of your chimney and reduces the negative impact of molds in the flue.

These molds look harmless, but don’t be fooled! They can come in all shapes and sizes. Some may be fuzzy, others are slimy or flat. They create a certain discoloration to the surface where they are attached and this cannot be removed easily by plain soap and water. It is best to leave these pesky molds to the professionals who have the right equipment to deal with them.

Dangers of Chimney Molds

Molds can pose a serious health risk to the inhabitants of the house because they produce spores. When these spores travel down the chimney and enter the home, they circulate and become inhaled. The milder symptoms of illness due to mold exposure could be irritation on the skin or any mucous membrane. More severe conditions may affect the lungs and cause permanent damage if inhaled in very large amounts. So if several of your family members are starting to cough or are experiencing headaches and frequent congestion, aside from going to the doctor, it would be sensible to take a trip or give a call to a professional chimney sweep to eliminate the cause of this sickness. And if you have a family member with any kind of respiratory problem…this becomes even more urgent.

Taking Out the Chimney Molds

If you have a leaky chimney, go ahead and make an appointment with the experts at Hudson Chimney. Serving the Jacksonville, Florida area for more than 30 years, we hope to gain your confidence and take care of your chimney.. They will be able to deal with your chimney mold problem in a jiffy, targeting the mold and then repairing any cracks in the chimney that causes water to enter. They might also recommend waterproofing your chimney for long-term maintenance of its structure and functionality.

In the end, prevention is definitely better than spending thousands on medications and chimney repairs. Call Hudson Chimney to inspect your chimney every year. The small investment on your chimney will be worth the huge savings.

The Silent Danger

With winter approaching homeowners are more inclined to want to use their chimneys, but before you go making sparks make sure you and your family are safe.  When having a chimney, keeping it maintained is one of the most important things you can do.  Hudson Chimney of Florida is here to meet all of your chimney sweeping and inspection needs!

When there is a blockage in your chimney or it becomes damaged, it can stop the air from escaping properly, allowing Carbon Monoxide and other harmful things to stay inside of your home.  Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that is extremely toxic.  Because it is so dangerous, it can lead to death before the victim is even aware that they are coming in contact with the substance.  Small levels of exposure can lead to you feeling like you have the flu, causing symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue.  Depending on your age and how long you were exposed, the symptoms may be more severe.

Carbon monoxide exposure can be fatal, but it can start with symptoms such as dizziness or headaches.

Carbon monoxide exposure can be fatal, but it can start with symptoms such as dizziness or headaches.

There are numerous ways that Carbon Monoxide can build up.  Everyday items, such as generators, vehicles, or even your chimney can be the start of the problem without you even thinking about it.  Knowing how to use and keep you appliances properly repaired can cut back on the chance of a problem.  If you are in a space that you sense Carbon Monoxide in the air, evacuate the room immediately.  Turning off what you think is emitting the gas will stop from creating more, but the room or area will need the proper amount of time to filter out what is already there.

Today, you can install CO alarms in your home, so if levels start to rise you will be alerted.  To properly use these, there should be multiple alarms on all levels of the home.  Some can be connected so that when one sounds, they will all go off throughout the rest of the home.  These are not to be used as smoke detectors as they are made to sense different things.  Lastly, alarms only work as well as they are taken care of so make sure that they are tested and have replaced batteries regularly.

Find Posts About

Recent Posts